The rules of treatment of acute pain in lumbar spine disc herniation
On a person’s lower back, even if he is not overweight, always has a very heavy load. After all, straightness is the only way to move a person. The most frequent acute pain in the lumbar spine and the problems of its treatment are associated with the pathology of deep back muscles and hernia and disc protrusion.
However, when the first acute pain in the back occurs, it is not clear why it appeared. The pain in the back may be due to:
- osteochondrosis and its complications, i.e., protrusion and hernia of the lumbar spine;
- spinal canal stenosis;
- inflammation of nerve roots, or radiculitis;
- Spondylolisthesis and scoliosis, where the vertebrae are connected at abnormal angles;
- inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, tuberculosis, brucellosis.
Finally, acute lower back pain may be caused by a paravertebral tumor, or by metastases to the spine area. And if it is known that the cause is hernia, how does the lower back hurt?
Symptoms of hernia pain
There are markers, or “special flags,” which suggest that the pain is due to the lesion of the musculoskeletal system and has a discogenic character. These are the following symptoms and signs:
- sharp and acute pain occurs either at the moment of pronounced physical activity or immediately after it;
- acute pain has the character of an electric current, it is sudden, shot in the lower back most often in the leg, down to the ankle joint;
- the pain leads to a sharp limitation of mobility in the lumbar spine, and the patient takes a specific antalgic or painful posture. In this position, the slightest movement is eliminated and breathing becomes less deep;
- the pain associated with intervertebral disc lesions is of the so-called “spine” nature. This means that the slightest concussion of the lumbar spine leads to a sharp increase in pain like a lumbago. It is laughter, coughing, sneezing, an attempt to change the position of the body or to push the toilet in great need;
- Later, a permanent, whining component is added, associated with the reaction of deep muscles to the inflammatory focus caused by hernia.
All these symptoms clearly indicate that the cause of pain is a discogenic complication of osteochondrosis – protrusion or hernia in the lumbar spine, where these defects occur most often.
First aid in pain syndrome without medication
Let’s consider the principles of first aid, which can be done without taking medication and try to get rid of pain.
Attention! You should warn against one very common mistake. On the first day, and even more so in the first hours, it is strictly forbidden any heating, and especially with the use of heaters and physiotherapy devices that create excessive heat. In the first day swelling of nerve roots and muscle tissue only increases, and an attempt to relieve pain by adding heat, according to the laws of physiology only to increase the flow of blood into the inflammation zone, complementing and increasing the volume of hyperemia. Treatment of acute lower back pain in the first day with heat will only increase the pain.
Therefore, instead of intense warming, you can use cooling. If the patient has no chronic inflammatory diseases of the kidneys, female genitalia, then the lower back for a short time (5-10 minutes) several times a day through a dense tissue can be applied a bladder with ice or some cold object. This will reduce swelling and relieve pain.
The second thing to do is to try to immobilize the patient by putting on a semi-rigid corset. It will maintain the necessary distance between lumbar vertebrae, and reduce the risk of acute pain.
The third non-drug method of first aid is the use of home physiotherapy devices that do not heat, but distract and irritate. These are applicators Lyapko and Kuznetsova. Needles and prickles, on which the patient lies, on the contrary, allow the blood volume to flow from the inflammation zone to subcutaneous tissue and deep layers of the skin. Thus, the pain syndrome is reduced, and the patient, in any case, while lying still, feels less discomfort. These simple remedies allow to ease the patient’s condition before using drugs.